This year Salga NYC, QWAVE, and GAPIMNY will be joining APICHA for Aids Walk on May 18th!
You can easily sign-up under team APICHA by following these simple steps:
Here are the steps to quickly register for the AIDS Walk 2014 to walk with APICHA Community Health Center:
STEP 1: VISIT http://www.aidswalk.net/
STEP 2: CLICK “REGISTER HERE”
STEP 3: CLICK “JOIN A TEAM”
STEP 4: UNDER “JOIN EXISTING TEAM,” FIND APICHA (TEAM 0066)
STEP 5: FILL OUT THE NEXT PAGE, AND YOU’RE SET.
We look forward to seeing you all on May 18th!
Buy the book starting April 22, 2014. Visit http://
Click here to RSVP on Facebook.
Saturday, May 3, 2014 | 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm | Free admission | Gallery Bar (120 Orchard St, New York, NY 10002)
2014 LGBTQ Muslim Retreat
May 23-26, 2014
Memorial Day Holiday Weekend Outside Philadelphia, PA.
Salaam; If you haven’t registered for the 2014 Retreat for LGBTQ Muslims and their Partners and are planning to attend, please register ASAP. There is only capacity for 80 participants and the retreat has sold out every year.
Limited # of scholarships are available! Priority is given to young people, women, transgender people, older individuals and those who have not attended before.
(2015 Retreat will possibly be on the West coast)
We are excited to announce Sholay Productions as a co-sponsor again for this year’s float! Come meet up with us at the meeting point before marching as a group down 5th Avenue. Our very own SALGA NYC Dance Team will be showing off their new moves!Interested in volunteering and helping with this year’s pride float and theme? Contact email@example.com.
39th St, btwn 5th Ave and 6 Ave (SALGA is Section 3#, Order #7
It’s hard to believe its been 13 years since we took over a little club in Chelsea to start a party that’s been bringing queer Bollywood love to New York for over a decade—and the hip-shaking, groundbreaking beats go on! Thanks to all our friends who have shared all these wonderful moments with us. Don’t miss another unforgettable night as we take Desilicious back to Pachita with your favorite Bollywood beats by Ashu Rai, an opening set by Atif, visuals by Neeraj. Part of the proceeds benefit SALGA’s Pride presence.
Sholay Birthday Bash
Friday | April 25, 2014
Doors Open 10pm
Music by Ashu Rai. Opening set by Atif
Visuals by Neeraj
618 West 46th St btwn 11th and 12th Ave
10% of proceeds benefit SALGA-NY
$10 Reduced admission before midnight if you send an email with your first and last name to firstname.lastname@example.org
21 + to enter with ID
Come join The SALGA NYC Book Club on Sunday May 4th from 4pm–6pm, as we discuss…
“Indian Summer: The Secret History of the End of an Empire” by Alex Von Tunzelmann:
• At the stroke of midnight on August 15, 1947, the British Empire withdrew from India, inviting in all the exhilaration and turmoil of a newly free society. In this vivid, atmospheric popular history, Alex von Tunzelmann chronicles these times through the most prominent figures: Dickie Mountbatten, Britain’s dashing, inept last viceroy; Dickie’s savvy, glamorous wife, Edwina, who found the love of her life in Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s new prime minister; Muslim leader Muhammad Ali Jinnah, and Mohandas Gandhi. Tunzelman’s thrilling chronicle “removes the veil from the colorful personalities and events behind Inida’s independence and partition with Pakistan” —The Washington Post
• “[A] captivating group portrait, pulling forth the most telling details of each figure’s inner life…To have turned an era of such significance and continuing relevance into a page-turner, to both entertain and educate, is an an admirable accomplishment.” —San Francisco Chronicle
• “A fascinating behind-the-scenes account of the breakup of British rule in India.” —NPR’s Fresh Air
• “This is history as multiple, interconnected biography. . . . Indian Summer achieves something both simpler and rarer, placing the behavior and feelings of a few key players at the center of a tumultuous moment in history.” —The New York Times Book Review
Please join us as we discuss this selection over snacks & beverages. And feel free to bring your favorite snack or beverage as well. For the venue location and contact information, please send an email to:
Dates & Times:
- Saturday, April 12 from 2pm-4pm: Studio 6
- Saturday, April 19 from 2pm-4pm: Studio 6
Location: Gibney Dance, 890 Broadway (between 19th and 20th St.), NY NY — 5th Floor
Contact person: email@example.com
Event details: Interested in joining the SALGA Dance Team? We’re working on year-round programming and would love to see you join us! We’ll be getting together Saturday October 12 for a little no-stress dance practice (wear comfy clothing), and then heading to a little post-practice hang-out in the area (karaoke may or may not be involved).
No experience necessary! If you like shakin’ ya tailfeather, then this could be you:
Date: Saturday, May 10, 2014
Time: 4pm – 6pm
Location: LGBT Center, 208 West 13th Street
Support is for you – come to discuss this month’s topic or whatever may be on your mind. SALGA’s Support group is limited to folks who identify as South Asian and to their intimate family.
SALGA’s monthly support group meetings are a SAFE, CONFIDENTIAL space for you to join a group atmosphere to talk about issues that affect your life and well-being. We provide a supportive atmosphere to all attendees.
In addition to monthly in-person support group meetings, there is also a desi lgbtQ helpline on Thursday and Sunday evenings. Call 908-FOR-DEQH (908-367-3374) for free, confidential, culturally sensitive peer support, information and resources. More info on deqh.org.